Sebastian Berhalter leaves Vancouver for Middlesbrough in undisclosed Championship move
United States midfielder Sebastian Berhalter has joined English Championship side Middlesbrough from Vancouver Whitecaps for an undisclosed fee, with Vancouver retaining a percentage of any future sale. The 25-year-old scored once and assisted once at the recent FIFA World Cup.
Sebastian Berhalter has completed a move to Middlesbrough from Vancouver Whitecaps for an undisclosed fee, both clubs confirmed on Tuesday, with the Championship side securing one of MLS’s standout performers from the past three seasons.
The 25-year-old United States international featured in all five of his country’s games at the recent FIFA World Cup, contributing a goal and an assist in his only start, against Türkiye. Vancouver will retain a percentage of any future transfer fee as part of the deal, which cuts short a contract that had been due to run until the end of 2026.
“This is where I want to be,” Berhalter said in a Middlesbrough statement. “I want to keep getting better as a player and person, and this is a great place to do it.”
Berhalter arrives at the Riverside having built a formidable record at Vancouver since joining from Columbus Crew in February 2022 — 20 goals and 34 assists across 167 appearances. He was named to the MLS Best XI last year as Vancouver reached the MLS Cup final, underlining his status as one of the division’s most creative midfielders.
At Middlesbrough, he reunites with former Columbus Crew and USA teammate Aidan Morris, a connection that Berhalter says played a significant role in his decision.
“I’ve been watching the club closely over the last two years because of Aidan, and I kind of fell in love with the club, especially over the last year with the way they play and the way they fight,” he added.
Middlesbrough narrowly missed out on a return to the Premier League last season, losing to Hull City in the Championship playoff final in May. The addition of Berhalter — son of former USA head coach and player Gregg Berhalter — signals the club’s intent to mount another promotion challenge.
Read also
-
Football ·Strasbourg signs Jacobo Ortega, Youth League final goalscorer with Real Madrid
-
Football ·Genesio Names Six Key Players to Form OM's Backbone
-
Football ·Di Gregorio Offered to Marseille to Fill Void Left by Rulli
-
Football ·Bouaddi leaves Lille for Manchester City for €80 million
-
Football ·Barcelona seals Rodri for €70m and signs Cancelo for free on same day
-
Football ·Ronaldo announces retirement for 2027 and targets 1,000 career goals