Andy Burnham explores UK World Cup bid to end 72-year wait since 1966
Andy Burnham is reportedly in talks with British footballing bodies about launching a bid to host the men's FIFA World Cup, which would return to the UK for the first time since England's 1966 triumph. The earliest available tournament is 2038.
Andy Burnham is exploring a bid for the United Kingdom to host the men’s FIFA World Cup, according to reports, with the Greater Manchester mayor and prime minister in talks with the nation’s footballing bodies about how a campaign could be delivered. The move would bring the World Cup back to British soil for the first time since England hosted — and won — the tournament in 1966.
The i newspaper reported that Burnham told colleagues at No 10 North on Friday morning that he is actively discussing the prospect with football’s governing bodies. The Independent has contacted the Department for Culture, Media and Sport for comment.
The bid forms part of a broader strategy to use major sporting events to drive investment, tourism and regeneration outside London. Burnham is also reportedly pursuing a Northern Olympics with similar goals in mind — channelling significant revenue into regions beyond the capital.
The next available World Cup slot is 2038, with further tournaments scheduled for 2042 and 2046. FIFA has not yet opened the formal host-selection process for any of those editions.
Burnham has been vocal about what he sees as a long-standing oversight. Earlier this month, speaking on the Away Days podcast, he said: “It makes you wonder whether the authorities at the European and global level have something against us. The country that invented the game, you’d think we would have had a bit more of that attention.”
The UK is already committed to co-hosting UEFA Euro 2028 alongside Ireland, giving the country a significant staging-post before any World Cup campaign could materialise. Whether that experience strengthens or complicates a subsequent World Cup bid remains to be seen.
This is a developing story.
Read also
-
Football ·Mateta takes Crystal Palace contract dispute to FIFA in bid to become free agent
-
Football ·Saint-Étienne crushes Grenoble 4-0 and takes sole lead in Ligue 2
-
Football ·Nice and Lorient Draw Goalless in Ligue 1 Opener
-
Football ·Le Mans holds Brest to 2-2 draw on Ligue 1 return
-
Football ·Lyon wins at Toulouse with reshuffled XI before Fenerbahçe clash
-
Football ·Tielemans' pre-season admission haunts Man United after 2-0 collapse at Hull