Carragher's 'carried away' Man Utd warning vindicated after shock Hull defeat
Jamie Carragher predicted on Friday night that expectations surrounding Manchester United were overblown — and within 24 hours, a 2-0 loss to newly promoted Hull appeared to prove his point.
Jamie Carragher wasted no time reminding the football world of his pre-season scepticism after Manchester United were beaten 2-0 by newly promoted Hull at the MKM Stadium on Saturday, responding with a pointed GIF on social media that referenced his comments from the night before.
On Friday, Carragher had pushed back against the optimism surrounding United heading into the new campaign, telling Sky Sports colleague Gary Neville: “People are getting very carried away with Man United. People are putting them second and third, honestly. Man United’s back four is the same back four they had five years ago.”
The enthusiasm Carragher was challenging had been fuelled by Michael Carrick’s impressive interim tenure last season, which lifted United to third place and secured a Champions League berth — including a notable win over Liverpool at Old Trafford. Summer midfield additions Youri Tielemans and Andrey Santos had further raised expectations, with some pundits tipping United to finish second behind Arsenal.
Neville had gone further, suggesting United were now in a better position than Liverpool, a claim Carragher disputed, arguing that Liverpool’s starting XI remained superior. The pair are due to deliver their full Premier League predictions on Monday Night Football, and Saturday’s result handed Carragher considerable ammunition.
United were heavy favourites for the lunchtime fixture but found themselves 2-0 down by half-time and unable to muster a response after the break, returning to Manchester without a goal or a point.
Carrick acknowledged the disappointment without panic. “It was never going to be perfect today but I think going behind and giving ourselves a lot to do makes it more difficult — probably a typical one of those games of a newly promoted team at home,” he said. “You can’t give them much, they’ve got a lot to hold on to. We had moments, we had opportunities, we just didn’t have that spark to put the chances away or create any more. Listen, we’re bitterly disappointed with the result today but it won’t knock us.”
Read also
-
Football ·Tielemans' pre-season admission haunts Man United after 2-0 collapse at Hull
-
Football ·Rashford returns for Man Utd after 618 days but cannot prevent 2-0 Hull defeat
-
Football ·United sold Hojlund to Napoli for £43m despite CIES valuing striker at £110m
-
Football ·Lens crushes Auxerre 5-2 and launches season in style after Trophy of Champions
-
Football ·Luis Enrique denounces unequal treatment ahead of PSG-Rennes at Roazhon Park
-
Football ·Bajcetic told to tear up Liverpool deal to seal Celta Vigo return on a free