SportsCatch
EN

Makhachev questions why Prates and Morales didn't fight at UFC 330 to settle contender debate

After stopping Ian Machado Garry at UFC 330 in Philadelphia, welterweight champion Islam Makhachev called out the UFC for not booking Carlos Prates against Michael Morales on the same card to determine his next challenger.

2 min read
Makhachev questions why Prates and Morales didn't fight at UFC 330 to settle contender debate
Share

Islam Makhachev left UFC 330 in Philadelphia with his welterweight title intact after dispatching Ian Machado Garry, but the champion’s attention quickly turned to a question he thinks the UFC should have already answered: why weren’t Carlos Prates and Michael Morales fighting each other on the same card?

Both contenders were seated cageside for Saturday’s main event, each with a credible case for a title shot. Makhachev, speaking at the post-fight press conference, saw a straightforward solution that went unused.

“Let them fight,” Makhachev said. “Why are they not fighting on this card to see who is the No. 1 contender? It’s OK.”

The 34-year-old champion was generous in his assessment of the division’s depth, naming Prates, Morales, and Shavkat Rakhmonov as fighters who sharpen his preparation. “These guys Morales, Prates, Shavkat — they make me training everyday more harder. Because I see this is the real fighters who can give me good fights.”

The UFC could still book Prates vs. Morales and then match the winner against Makhachev, but that timeline would likely push a title fight into 2027 — and Makhachev has made clear he has no interest in waiting that long. He had already hoped to fight twice in 2025 and was frustrated that his return came as late as August. A November or December defence is now his stated target.

His urgency is rooted in practicality. “I am not 20 something. I am 34 years old. I have to fight as soon as possible because I don’t cut much weight, I don’t have any big injuries, just have to double check my nose, that’s it.”

Makhachev also revealed he had pushed to appear on the UFC’s White House card earlier in the summer, contacting manager Ali Abdelaziz and others to express his availability, only for that bout to fall through for reasons he described as a long story. “It’s not something I chose and I made,” he said.

With the Garry win behind him, Makhachev’s priority is simple: get another fight booked before 2025 ends, regardless of which contender the UFC ultimately selects.

Share
{# Sitewide native fullscreen interstitial — our own bet-CTA card blown up to a takeover (replaces the SDK overlay). The shared card animations + countdown load once, AFTER the interstitial markup, so the countdown script's first tick sees this card's node too (the in-read card, in
above, already exists). One include covers both surfaces. #}