Din Thomas calls his UFC 330 retirement announcement 'despicable' and apologises to Gillian Robertson
Din Thomas has publicly apologised to Gillian Robertson after announcing his retirement from cornering during the UFC 330 post-show, moments after Robertson lost her strawweight title bid to Mackenzie Dern. Thomas called the timing 'completely irresponsible' and admitted he selfishly stole her moment.
Din Thomas issued a public apology to Gillian Robertson on Monday after announcing his retirement from cornering fighters during the UFC 330 post-show broadcast — a decision he made just moments after Robertson lost a strawweight title fight to Mackenzie Dern at the event on Saturday night.
Thomas had served double duty at UFC 330, working as an on-air analyst while also cornering Robertson in her co-main event challenge against Dern. Robertson lost a lacklustre decision, and the night worsened when Thomas used the post-show to declare he was stepping away from cornering — timing that drew widespread criticism for overshadowing his fighter.
Addressing the controversy at the start of his UFC Deep Waters YouTube show, Thomas did not attempt to deflect blame.
“Saturday night was the most inappropriate time to bring up the fact that I did not want to corner again,” Thomas said. “It was completely irresponsible. It was despicable. I shouldn’t have done it. I should have waited to a different time than take away her moment.”
Thomas acknowledged that his desire to step back from cornering was not new — he had previously considered quitting after Tyron Woodley was knocked out by Jake Paul — but stressed that the timing at UFC 330 was indefensible regardless of his personal feelings.
The apology carried particular weight given the depth of their working relationship. Thomas has coached Robertson throughout her entire UFC career, a partnership he described as spanning seven years of constant collaboration.
“This is a young lady that I’ve worked with for her entire career,” Thomas said. “The last seven years, it’s just been me and her, working endlessly, just together. I remember her coming to me crying, ‘I would like to win two in a row, three in a row.’ And she went on this amazing run; she’s broken records, and I, selfishly, stole her moment that night.”
Thomas said the incident had weighed on him throughout the weekend and that he felt genuine shame over his conduct.
“I’m ashamed; I’m embarrassed. But I’m not too big to say I’m sorry,” he said. “Gillian, I love you. I got your back. I’ve always had your back. This is not the end. Whatever you need, I’m always here for you — the same way I’ve been for the last seven years when it was just us.”
Robertson has not yet publicly responded to the apology.
Read also
-
MMA ·Makhachev questions why Prates and Morales didn't fight at UFC 330 to settle contender debate
-
MMA ·Garry confronts unbeaten Morales backstage after UFC 330 title loss: 'Back it up'
-
MMA ·Makhachev survives Garry's grappling overhaul to retain welterweight title at UFC 330
-
MMA ·Dern silences Robertson's grappling boast with dominant decision at UFC 330
-
MMA ·Magny's 25th UFC win ties Oliveira and leaves only Jim Miller ahead
-
MMA ·Fernando finishes Tobias at UFC 330 after wife talked him out of quitting MMA