Guimaraes fitness doubt adds to Arsenal's injury concerns ahead of Coventry opener
Arsenal begin their Premier League title defence against Coventry City at the Emirates Stadium with Bruno Guimaraes uncertain to feature, while William Saliba and Jurrien Timber are already ruled out. Coventry will be without top scorer Haji Wright for up to 12 weeks with a serious quad injury.
Arsenal open their Premier League title defence against Coventry City at the Emirates Stadium with Mikel Arteta sweating over the fitness of summer signing Bruno Guimaraes, who was forced off during last weekend’s Community Shield victory over Manchester City. Arteta said on Thursday: “Let’s see how it is, it’s evolving well, but let’s see for tomorrow.”
The Gunners will definitely be without two first-choice defenders. William Saliba is continuing his rehabilitation from a back injury sustained at the World Cup, while Jurrien Timber remains sidelined with a long-term groin problem. Arteta confirmed Timber is not yet training with the group, saying: “No, I said in the next few weeks. He’s not training with the group yet.”
There was better news elsewhere in the Arsenal camp, with Arteta confirming that Declan Rice and Bukayo Saka are both fit to start. “Yes, they’re ready to be involved, yes,” the Arsenal manager said.
Coventry arrive at the Emirates without their leading scorer from last season. Frank Lampard confirmed that striker Haji Wright — who netted 17 goals as Coventry won the Championship — is facing up to 12 weeks out with a serious quad injury. “He won’t be available for a little while,” Lampard said. “It’s certainly going to be a number of weeks, could even be up to 12 weeks.”
Wright had already missed Coventry’s pre-season friendlies against RCD Espanyol and AS Monaco. Lampard did, however, confirm that Ephron Mason-Clark and Jack Rudoni are available after missing games during pre-season.
Lampard was candid about the scale of the challenge facing his newly promoted side, warning that resilience will be essential. “We will go through tougher times this year for sure because of the competition we’re up against now,” he said. “As a club we will need to stick together in those moments.”
Read also
-
Football ·Savinho's £80m Tottenham move masks Manchester City's deeper recruitment crisis
-
Football ·Kai Rooney passes all GCSEs and earns sixth-form place while recovering from injury
-
Football ·Rothen and Makelele join DAZN and Disney+ to cover La Liga from 2026
-
Football ·Álvarez rejects London life as Arsenal's summer pursuit hits a wall
-
Football ·Endrick rejects Liverpool interest as Mourinho shapes Real Madrid attack around him
-
Football ·Diomandé contradicts Mourinho: "He woke me up at five in the morning"