Lukaku brands 2025 worst year of his life and accuses Napoli of using fitness claims to boycott him
Romelu Lukaku has opened up on a turbulent 2025 that included a serious thigh injury, the death of his father, and a bitter exit from Napoli, whose fitness assessments he flatly denies. The 33-year-old has since joined Fenerbahce on a one-year deal.
Romelu Lukaku has described 2025 as the “worst year of my life”, accusing Napoli of fabricating fitness concerns to push him out of the club after a season in which he made just seven appearances and suffered the death of his father.
Speaking to Belgian outlet Het Laatste Nieuws, the 33-year-old forward said decisions about his future at Napoli had already been made before he was officially told. “I chose to leave Napoli because I heard things and decisions were already being made… that’s it,” Lukaku said. “The claim that I was not fit was simply not true. They probably said that in Italy to boycott me, but I am 100 per cent match fit.”
Lukaku’s difficult year began in August 2025 when he sustained a serious thigh injury during a pre-season fixture against Olympiacos. His recovery was complicated by relapses and a dispute with Napoli’s medical staff after he opted to return to Belgium for treatment rather than remain in Naples. In September, his father passed away, and Lukaku’s family faced extortion attempts surrounding the repatriation of the body ahead of a funeral held in Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo.
Having left Napoli in the summer, Lukaku signed a one-year deal with Turkish club Fenerbahce. He made his debut as a second-half substitute in a 1-1 Champions League draw against Lyon on Tuesday.
“It is a new experience, but at a high and professional level,” Lukaku said of the move. “I need motivation until the end. This is best for me; I want to keep playing as competitively as possible. Here I will be playing in a strong league, fighting for trophies, and who knows, maybe even playing in the Champions League.”
There had been speculation that Lukaku might return to boyhood club Anderlecht, more than 15 years after he left for Chelsea. He has not closed the door on that possibility, but says it will have to wait. “I signed here for one season with an option for an extra year. Hopefully, I can see out those two years. Afterwards, I will return home,” he said. “I have always said that I want to continue until 2030, also with the Red Devils. After that, it’s ‘game over’.”
Lukaku turns 34 before the end of the current season but insists he remains in peak physical condition as he looks to rebuild his career in Istanbul.
Read also
-
Football ·Genesio contradicts OM hierarchy over Hojbjerg captaincy and draws criticism
-
Football ·Arsenal target Kenan Yildiz in €100m move — but Juventus deal pushes transfer to next summer
-
Football ·Mourinho at Real Madrid excludes Camavinga from six untouchable starters
-
Football ·Wright urges Arsenal fans to stop targeting Lewis-Skelly's mum amid transfer rumours
-
Football ·Premier League replaces PSR with SCR rules from 2026/27, introducing points deductions for overspending
-
Football ·Barcelona set to sign Livakovic for €5m before loaning him to Fenerbahçe
India U20