SportsCatch
EN

Rooney backs United to sign Arsenal's Lewis-Skelly as transfer talks continue

Wayne Rooney has called Manchester United's reported pursuit of Arsenal's Myles Lewis-Skelly an 'absolute no-brainer', with The Athletic reporting a deal for the 19-year-old remains possible despite the player's reluctance to leave his boyhood club.

2 min read
Rooney backs United to sign Arsenal's Lewis-Skelly as transfer talks continue
Share

Manchester United are continuing to explore a move for Arsenal’s Myles Lewis-Skelly, with Wayne Rooney publicly backing the club to sign the 19-year-old before the summer window closes in two weeks.

The versatile England international was reportedly offered to both United and Chelsea last week following Bruno Guimarães’ arrival at the Emirates. Lewis-Skelly then underlined his quality by assisting Riccardo Calafiori’s goal in Arsenal’s Community Shield win over Manchester City on Sunday, operating in midfield rather than his more familiar left-back role.

Rooney, speaking on the first episode of his podcast Stick To United, was unequivocal in his assessment. “Lewis-Skelly — we’re hearing that he is available for not much money,” he said. “I think it’s an absolute no-brainer. If you can get a player that can play left-back and central midfield, he’s young and he’s got a massive future ahead of him. If you can bring him in, that’s an absolute no-brainer.”

Rooney also noted the financial logic for Arsenal, pointing out that Lewis-Skelly and fellow academy product Ethan Nwaneri would represent near-pure profit if sold. “It’s not a great look for Arsenal, but I can see why they might need to sell,” he added.

Despite that framing, the deal is far from straightforward. Lewis-Skelly does not appear keen on leaving his boyhood club, though The Athletic has reported that a move is still considered possible. United’s own priorities may also shift the focus elsewhere: manager Michael Carrick has midfield options available, but Luke Shaw remains the club’s only natural left-back, and his mixed display against AC Milan has highlighted the need for cover with United back in the Champions League.

Other names have been linked to address those positions. Jorge Salinas of Racing Santander is said to prefer a move to Barcelona, Club Brugge have stated Joaquín Seys is not for sale, and Newcastle have made clear that Lewis Hall is unavailable.

With the window shutting in a fortnight and a season-opener against Hull City on Saturday, United are running short of time to add to their squad.

Share
{# Sitewide native fullscreen interstitial — our own bet-CTA card blown up to a takeover (replaces the SDK overlay). The shared card animations + countdown load once, AFTER the interstitial markup, so the countdown script's first tick sees this card's node too (the in-read card, in
above, already exists). One include covers both surfaces. #}