Din Thomas apologizes to Gillian Robertson for stealing her moment after UFC 330 title loss
Din Thomas has publicly apologized to Gillian Robertson after facing widespread backlash for announcing his retirement from cornering during the UFC 330 post-show, moments after Robertson was dominated by Mackenzie Dern in her title bid.
Din Thomas has issued a public apology to Gillian Robertson after his post-fight comments at UFC 330 drew sharp criticism from fans and fellow fighters alike. Thomas, Robertson’s longtime mentor, sparked controversy by announcing during the post-show that he was done cornering fighters and that he had taken “The Savage” as far as he could — moments after she was thoroughly dominated by Mackenzie Dern in a strawweight title fight.
Addressing the fallout on his podcast “Deep Waters,” Thomas did not attempt to deflect blame. “Saturday night was the most inappropriate time for me to bring up that I did not want to corner again,” he said. “It was completely irresponsible; it was despicable. I shouldn’t have done it. I selfishly stole her moment that night. Instead of congratulating her on that run, I stole her moment and I want to apologize to her for that.”
The former UFC fighter had also suggested that Robertson had reached her ceiling in the sport, a remark that compounded the backlash given the circumstances. Thomas acknowledged on “Deep Waters” that stepping away from cornering had been on his mind before, citing the demands of fight week, but he now regrets making that decision public at Robertson’s expense.
Thomas took time to reflect on the years he and Robertson spent building toward a title shot, recalling a time when the Canadian fighter’s ambitions stretched no further than stringing together two or three consecutive wins. That long road eventually produced the run that earned her a championship opportunity — context that made his post-fight remarks land all the harder for those who witnessed them.
“For her, Gillian, I love you. I’ve got your back… I’ve always had your back,” Thomas said. “This is not the end.”
He closed with a direct acknowledgment of his own conduct. “I’m ashamed. I’m embarrassed, but I’m not too big to say I’m sorry.”
Read also
-
MMA ·UFC light heavyweight contender Anthony Smith pleads not guilty to four felony charges in Nebraska
-
MMA ·Makhachev fires back at Holloway's two-belt dig with cutting Instagram reply
-
MMA ·Makhachev's coach says Garry deserves to stay No. 1 contender despite UFC 330 defeat
-
MMA ·Charles Johnson eyes Brandon Royval rematch to avenge 2018 LFA defeat after UFC 330 Scottish twister
-
MMA ·All 10 fighters clear weight as Dana White's Contender Series Season 10 Week 2 goes official
-
MMA ·Dern retains UFC strawweight title but slams her own performance after unanimous decision over Robertson