SportsCatch
EN

United move swiftly to shut down Galatasaray's audacious bid for Bruno Fernandes

Manchester United have made clear Bruno Fernandes is not for sale after Galatasaray launched a surprise approach for the club captain this summer, a sharp contrast to the uncertainty that surrounded him during last year's Al Hilal saga.

2 min read
United move swiftly to shut down Galatasaray's audacious bid for Bruno Fernandes
Share

Manchester United have responded firmly to an approach from Galatasaray for captain Bruno Fernandes, signalling a markedly different stance from the club compared to the uncertainty that defined his situation during last summer’s Al Hilal pursuit.

The Istanbul club made an audacious move on Monday, attempting to lure the Portuguese midfielder to Turkey, where favourable tax rates have attracted a number of high-profile players in recent years. United’s swift and unambiguous response left little room for the kind of drawn-out saga that unsettled Fernandes — and the dressing room — twelve months ago.

That previous episode had left a visible mark on the 31-year-old. Al Hilal pushed hard to sign him last summer, and for a period United’s position appeared far from clear. Ruben Amorim ultimately played a decisive role in convincing Fernandes he remained central to the project at Old Trafford, but the damage from the club’s initial ambiguity lingered.

In December 2025, Fernandes spoke candidly to Portuguese channel Canal 11 about how the episode had affected him. “From the club’s side, I felt a bit like, ‘If you leave, it’s not so bad for us’,” he said. “It hurts me a bit. I was valued, and what values me most has to be my club, although lately I feel like I’m on thin ice.”

His public comments two months earlier had struck a more measured tone. Speaking to reporters at Carrington, Fernandes acknowledged interest from multiple clubs beyond Al Hilal but said his answer had never wavered. “The manager spoke with me. He said I was still part of the project. He wanted me to stay. The club said the same,” he explained, adding that a clear signal from United that they wanted to cash in would have changed his thinking entirely.

“If the club was like, ‘Bruno, we want to make some money, we don’t think you can be part of the future project,’ I would be like, OK, I have to find a solution for myself,” he said. “But obviously that wasn’t the case.”

United’s handling of the Galatasaray approach suggests the club have taken those lessons on board. Where last summer’s response left their captain feeling expendable, this time the message has been unambiguous — Fernandes is not available.

Share
{# Sitewide native fullscreen interstitial — our own bet-CTA card blown up to a takeover (replaces the SDK overlay). The shared card animations + countdown load once, AFTER the interstitial markup, so the countdown script's first tick sees this card's node too (the in-read card, in
above, already exists). One include covers both surfaces. #}