Haaland shaves off iconic blond hair to give Man City team-mates a shock before new season
Erling Haaland has ditched his trademark long blond hair for a buzz cut ahead of Manchester City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth, drawing stunned reactions from Pep Guardiola, Jack Grealish, and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
Erling Haaland has shaved off his flowing blond hair ahead of Manchester City’s Premier League season opener against Bournemouth at the Etihad on Sunday, unveiling a military-style buzz cut that left teammates and his former manager visibly taken aback.
The 26-year-old Norway striker, whose long hair had become as much a part of his identity as his prolific goalscoring, documented the transformation on his YouTube channel. “This beautiful long hair, time to let it go,” Haaland said. “I was thinking of doing it after the World Cup but I was so busy so I didn’t do it. The season starts now so it’s time to get a fresh start.”
The video captured a string of candid reactions from those close to Haaland. City manager Pep Guardiola laughed before quipping “you are lucky you have hair,” while teammate Jack Grealish was more blunt: “You look about 10 years old.” Former PSG and Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who had previously urged Haaland never to cut his hair, was equally stunned. “What the f— did you do?” Ibrahimovic said. Haaland’s girlfriend Isabel Haugseng Johansen and Oasis frontman Noel Gallagher also featured among those reacting to the new look.
Haaland revealed that Ibrahimovic had once offered him a piece of unconventional advice on the matter. “He said: ‘never cut your hair because the strength is in the hair,’” Haaland recalled, suggesting the warning ultimately went unheeded.
With his new look set to make its competitive debut against Bournemouth, Haaland added a characteristic touch of ambition to the occasion, saying he hoped to mark the first game of the season with a header.
Read also
-
Football ·Mbappé's Video Message Fails to Convince Young Jude on The Voice Kids
-
Football ·Savinho absent from City squad as £85m Spurs move edges closer, Marmoush still involved
-
Football ·Watkins and Martinez both absent as Aston Villa face Brighton amid Saudi and Juventus exit talk
-
Football ·Barcelona withdraw from Álvarez pursuit after Atlético's tapping-up complaint to FIFA
-
Football ·Shaw admits United failed to prepare for Hull's set-pieces after 2-0 opening-day loss
-
Football ·Barcelona drop Balde from La Liga opener as Manchester United weigh £33m move
Brazil U17