SportsCatch
EN

Barcelona drop Balde from La Liga opener as Manchester United weigh £33m move

Alejandro Balde was absent from Barcelona's 25-man squad for their La Liga opener against Elche, with the 22-year-old left-back openly seeking a move. Manchester United have held talks with his agent Jorge Mendes and are preparing a €40m bid.

2 min read
Barcelona drop Balde from La Liga opener as Manchester United weigh £33m move
Share

Alejandro Balde has been left out of Barcelona’s travelling squad for their La Liga opener against Elche, the clearest signal yet that the 22-year-old’s time at the Camp Nou is coming to an end. Manchester United are preparing a bid of €40 million (£33m) for the Spain international, with talks already held between the club and Balde’s agent, Jorge Mendes.

Barcelona announced their 25-man group on Sunday, with Balde absent alongside Marc Casado and Hector Fort — all three players the club are actively looking to sell before the transfer window closes on 1 September. The omission is a significant one given Balde had been a regular starter, but his standing at the club has shifted sharply since Joao Cancelo returned on loan in January, a move that cut into Balde’s minutes. A hamstring injury further disrupted his 2025-26 campaign.

Barcelona head coach Hansi Flick spoke warmly of Balde in his pre-match press conference but left the door open for a departure. “He’s a player of immense quality, and it’s important to know if he’s confident he can compete in his position,” Flick said. “That’s what I want to see from all my players. Every day I observe what they do, their level, whether they demonstrate that they’re at the level to play.” Cancelo’s versatility across both flanks makes Balde’s path to regular football at Barcelona increasingly narrow.

At Old Trafford, United manager Michael Carrick confirmed the club are working to strengthen before the window shuts, speaking ahead of their Premier League opener — a 2-0 defeat away to newly promoted Hull. “We’re certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things,” Carrick said. “Certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it.”

United’s search for a left-back has been complicated. Newcastle’s Lewis Hall was identified as the primary target earlier in the summer, but the deal is considered unattainable: Newcastle have no need to sell and have already lost three key players this window, while United have committed most of their budget to midfield reinforcements. Balde has emerged as the realistic alternative, and Barcelona’s decision to exclude him from their squad suggests both clubs are moving closer to an agreement.

Share
{# Sitewide native fullscreen interstitial — our own bet-CTA card blown up to a takeover (replaces the SDK overlay). The shared card animations + countdown load once, AFTER the interstitial markup, so the countdown script's first tick sees this card's node too (the in-read card, in
above, already exists). One include covers both surfaces. #}