All Blacks call up Tu'ungafasi and Hannah as concussion concerns cloud second Test
New Zealand have flown in prop Ofa Tu'ungafasi and lock Jamie Hannah to South Africa after Ethan de Groot and Josh Lord clashed heads during the first Test against the Springboks at Ellis Park. Both injured players face a race against concussion protocols to be available for the second Test in Cape Town.
New Zealand have drafted in veteran prop Ofa Tu’ungafasi and Crusaders lock Jamie Hannah as injury replacements after Ethan de Groot and Josh Lord suffered a head clash during the All Blacks’ first Test against South Africa at Ellis Park.
The two forwards collided in the 37th minute while falling off a tackle, leaving the field and not returning. New Zealand Rugby confirmed both players must progress through World Rugby concussion protocols before any return to play can be considered, with the pair flying out of New Zealand immediately to join the squad in South Africa on Monday.
Tu’ungafasi, who brings 68 Tests of experience across the loosehead and tighthead positions, has not featured for head coach Dave Rennie in 2026. Hannah, meanwhile, only made his Test debut earlier this year against France at One New Zealand Stadium in Christchurch.
Rennie confirmed that neither De Groot nor Lord will be available for the All Blacks’ midweek fixture against the British and Irish Lions, and that their participation in the second Test in Cape Town on Saturday remains uncertain.
“Obviously, it was a head clash, which is problematic long term,” Rennie told reporters at Ellis Park. “Neither of those guys can play on Tuesday, and probably can’t play Saturday. Depends on the protocols and what happened on the sideline.”
Rennie also revealed that De Groot had been battling illness in the days before the first Test. “Ethan de Groot was crook overnight, but yeah, look, we’re really happy with the effort up front, and the scrum was really solid in that last 30,” he said. “Grooter went home early from the captain’s run yesterday and spent a long time in bed.”
The concussion setbacks add a significant selection headache for Rennie as New Zealand look to build on their first-Test performance ahead of the Cape Town clash.
Read also
-
Rugby ·Rennie accuses Springboks of 'walking around' as All Blacks scrum survives Johannesburg test
-
Rugby ·Rennie backs Savea tackle call as All Blacks seal 33-16 win over Springboks
-
Rugby ·McKenzie reveals Rennie's halftime altitude plan as All Blacks outlast Springboks at Ellis Park
-
Rugby ·Rennie warns All Blacks still 'in their infancy' despite 33-16 demolition of Springboks
-
Rugby ·Erasmus embraces underdog status after Springboks' 33-16 thrashing by All Blacks
-
Rugby ·Jordan's double steers All Blacks to 17-point Ellis Park win over Springboks
India U20