Alexander-Arnold says World Cup should never have been for sale as he settles into Madrid life
Trent Alexander-Arnold has called the World Cup a football "institution" that should never have been opened to private investment, while also reflecting on a difficult debut season at Real Madrid and his adjustment to life in Spain.
Trent Alexander-Arnold has come out firmly against FIFA’s now-abandoned plan to seek private investment in its tournaments, telling the Mirror that the World Cup is a football “institution” that should not be “shared and owned by different people.”
FIFA president Gianni Infantino was forced to drop the proposal, which would have seen a private company take a stake in the running of FIFA tournaments including both the men’s and women’s World Cups. Alexander-Arnold, 27, was unequivocal in his opposition. “I just don’t think that’s something that’s appropriate,” he said. “It’s a football institution that should remain that way… it’s something that should stand alone by itself.”
The Real Madrid right-back also opened up about life in the Spanish capital following his move from boyhood club Liverpool last year — a transition he described as a significant cultural shift. The late-night dining culture in Madrid caught him off guard early on. “I remember the first time we went for dinner, and it’s literally just me in the restaurant. I left about 9pm… and that’s when people started to come in,” he laughed. Despite that, he said he had been “welcomed better than I could ever have imagined,” adding that the heat, the language barrier, and the broader lifestyle change had gradually started to feel normal.
Alexander-Arnold’s first season at the Bernabéu was hampered by two significant injuries at critical points in the campaign, and Real Madrid ended the year without a trophy. He described the period honestly: “It feels like it wasn’t the greatest season for me in terms of coming here.” However, the arrival of new manager José Mourinho has given him a sense of renewal. “It feels like a fresh start — a new manager, with new faces around the training ground, as well as tactics, ways of training. It feels fresh and new.”
The interview follows comments Alexander-Arnold made in the Sunday Mirror about his acrimonious exit from Liverpool, including being jeered by supporters on his return to Anfield in November for a Champions League fixture, which Liverpool won 1-0. He was introduced from the bench in the 80th minute to a hostile reception.
On the reaction from fans inside the stadium, he drew a distinction between legitimate supporter frustration and behaviour that “crossed the line.” “Abuse online and threats made via social DMs or in other ways are a sad part of life in 2026 if you’re in the public eye,” he said. “I choose to keep those things away from me because they don’t feel real.”
Read also
-
Football ·Newcastle and Liverpool honour Kevin Keegan with mosaic tribute before Premier League opener
-
Football ·Newcastle and Liverpool unite to honour Kevin Keegan before Premier League opener at St James' Park
-
Football ·Konaté delivers remarkable debut for Real Madrid with 97% pass accuracy and 89 touches
-
Football ·Guehi and Gvardiol rescue Maresca's Man City in dramatic late comeback against Bournemouth
-
Football ·Bouaddi joins Manchester City for €100m, historic record for Ligue 1 club
-
Football ·L'Équipe du Soir returns with six major departures and two new female contributors