Tsarukyan accuses Oliveira of using teammate's death to dodge UFC rematch
Arman Tsarukyan has publicly questioned Charles Oliveira's withdrawal from their planned rematch, suggesting the Brazilian used the death of Chute Boxe teammate Alan Nascimento as cover to pursue an easier fight against Diego Lopes instead.
Arman Tsarukyan has accused Charles Oliveira of manufacturing an excuse to avoid a rematch, claiming the Brazilian was back in training camp within days of citing grief as the reason for pulling out of their scheduled bout.
The two were reported to be set for a co-main event slot on September 19 in Los Angeles before the matchup was quietly shelved — Oliveira’s camp citing the recent death of his longtime Chute Boxe teammate, Alan Nascimento. Tsarukyan, however, is unconvinced.
“I was supposed to be fighting Charles Oliveira in the co-main event, five rounds, when I was in the mountains they called me and said ‘We’ve got a new name for you,’” Tsarukyan told Ariel Helwani. “I said, ‘No problem.’ [The reason the UFC gave for the withdrawal] was because Charles’ friend died and he cannot train. But I don’t understand, in three or four days he’s doing live streaming and back in camp.”
Tsarukyan went further, suggesting Oliveira had already identified a more favourable opponent in Diego Lopes and used the bereavement as a convenient exit.
“They probably already set up a fight with Diego Lopes,” Tsarukyan said. “[Oliveira] was just finding an excuse and now he’s found the excuse. But he could beat me and dedicate the victory to his friend. Of course, fight me or Diego Lopes? Of course, he would choose Diego Lopes.”
The remarks carry weight given the unresolved nature of their first meeting. Tsarukyan defeated Oliveira at UFC 300 via split decision, though the verdict was widely disputed, with many observers believing Oliveira had done enough to earn the win. That controversy made a rematch a natural and commercially appealing proposition.
With the Oliveira fight off the table, Tsarukyan will instead face Mauricio Ruffy at UFC 331. Ruffy has been one of the division’s most eye-catching recent arrivals, making the matchup a credible step up in opposition even if it lacks the narrative pull of a rematch with Oliveira.
Read also
-
MMA ·BKFC chairman backs McGregor to switch codes after final UFC fight
-
MMA ·Prates vows to knock out Makhachev and become Brazil's first UFC welterweight champion
-
MMA ·
McGregor hails Garry's 'champion mindset' after UFC 330 title loss to Makhachev
-
MMA ·UFC light heavyweight contender Anthony Smith pleads not guilty to four felony charges in Nebraska
-
MMA ·Din Thomas apologizes to Gillian Robertson for stealing her moment after UFC 330 title loss
-
MMA ·Makhachev fires back at Holloway's two-belt dig with cutting Instagram reply