Rodri undergoes successful back surgery with City contract future still unresolved
Manchester City have confirmed Rodri underwent minor back surgery following Spain's World Cup triumph, with the club expecting only a short rehabilitation period. The 2024 Ballon d'Or winner's contract enters its final year amid reported interest from Real Madrid.
Manchester City confirmed on Monday that Rodri has undergone successful minor back surgery, with the club stating the World Cup-winning midfielder faces only a short rehabilitation period before returning to training.
The 30-year-old had been experiencing discomfort for some time, and City’s official statement confirmed the procedure was designed to address that issue directly. “Manchester City can confirm Rodri has undergone successful minor back surgery,” the club said. “The midfielder had been feeling discomfort for some time but has now undergone a procedure to address the issue and will now begin a short period of rehabilitation.”
Rodri captained Spain to World Cup glory in North America this summer, earning the Golden Ball as the tournament’s best player — an honour that followed his 2024 Ballon d’Or win. The surgery comes as the midfielder begins his mandatory post-tournament rest, meaning he will miss City’s pre-season tour of Asia early next month. He is expected to return before the end of August, with City’s Community Shield fixture against Arsenal on August 16 likely to come too soon.
New City manager Enzo Maresca moved to play down speculation linking Rodri with a summer move to Real Madrid ahead of the operation. “First of all, we have to say that around big players there is always speculation. So I’m not worried about that, it’s normal, also because they won the World Cup — he is one of the best players,” Maresca said. “I think every manager wants to have Rodri, because he’s a top player. But now, surgery on Monday, and then he needs holiday, he needs to rest, recovery, and then he will be back here with us.”
The transfer speculation is underpinned by a genuine contractual concern: Rodri’s deal at the Etihad Stadium has entered its final 12 months. City have reportedly tabled a lucrative renewal offer, but the Spaniard has yet to signal his intentions either way. Real Madrid are said to remain optimistic about securing a deal before the transfer window closes, keen to capitalise on the uncertainty surrounding one of European football’s most influential midfielders.
Read also
-
Football ·Strasbourg signs Jacobo Ortega, Youth League final goalscorer with Real Madrid
-
Football ·Genesio Names Six Key Players to Form OM's Backbone
-
Football ·Di Gregorio Offered to Marseille to Fill Void Left by Rulli
-
Football ·Bouaddi leaves Lille for Manchester City for €80 million
-
Football ·Barcelona seals Rodri for €70m and signs Cancelo for free on same day
-
Football ·Ronaldo announces retirement for 2027 and targets 1,000 career goals