SportsCatch
EN

Rennie dismisses Jones' illegal-play claims as All Blacks prepare for Springboks series opener

All Blacks head coach Dave Rennie has pushed back against Springboks defence coach Felix Jones' accusation that New Zealand operate illegal themes at the breakdown and maul, insisting the incidents Jones cited were isolated and already penalised.

2 min read
Rennie dismisses Jones' illegal-play claims as All Blacks prepare for Springboks series opener
Share

All Blacks head coach Dave Rennie has rejected Springboks defence coach Felix Jones’ assertion that New Zealand employ systematic illegal play, calling the specific incidents Jones highlighted at a press conference this week isolated one-offs that his side has already been penalised for and moved on from.

Jones had accused the All Blacks of entering rucks with tucked shoulders and lifting legs in the maul, arguing that URC clubs the tourists faced over the previous two weeks were caught out by the illegal acts — and that the pattern was consistent with what South Africa had seen during the three July Tests.

Rennie acknowledged the individual penalties but firmly rejected the notion of a deliberate trend. “I think Felix was pointing out a handful of things; clawing a leg, we did that once and got penalised. We threw a guy across the lineout once and got penalised. We were pulling back at the back of a maul, got penalised, and were sin-binned,” the New Zealand coach said. “So, we’ve learned. Discipline was much better on the weekend, and we know that’s going to be important against the Springboks.”

Jones had also addressed his concerns directly with the match officials for Saturday’s series opener through official channels. Rennie confirmed the All Blacks had submitted their own video clips raising concerns about South Africa’s tactics, but said he had no intention of making those public. “We sent in clips with concerns we’ve got; I’m sure they’ve done the same thing. I’m not sure why they’re trying to air that stuff in the media; I’ve got no plans on sharing any of the clips that we’ve sent in.”

The exchange adds a pointed edge to a week already bristling with pre-match manoeuvring. Jones’ comments followed the New Zealand camp raising concerns about the Springboks potentially slowing the game down — a suggestion that referee-turned-Springbok advisor Jaco Peyper publicly dismissed at a separate press conference earlier in the week.

Rennie declined to elaborate on his tactical concerns about South Africa but was candid about what he believes the All Blacks will need to produce at Ellis Park. “I think belief is a massive part of it. We’re going to Ellis Park to play the Springboks; it’s almost their mecca,” he said. “We’re really excited by the challenge. We’ve been here three weeks; we’ve had good prep. We know we’re going to have to be at our best; we know we’re going to have to be disciplined so we don’t give them easy entries into our 22, and we have to be really accurate.”

Rennie also flagged the aerial game as a key battleground, noting that neutralising South Africa’s kicking threat would be central to creating attacking opportunities for his side.

Share
{# Sitewide native fullscreen interstitial — our own bet-CTA card blown up to a takeover (replaces the SDK overlay). The shared card animations + countdown load once, AFTER the interstitial markup, so the countdown script's first tick sees this card's node too (the in-read card, in
above, already exists). One include covers both surfaces. #}