Manchester United seal £70m Carlos Baleba deal as Brighton midfielder set for medical
Manchester United have agreed a fee of £65m plus £5m in add-ons with Brighton for midfielder Carlos Baleba. The 22-year-old Cameroon international will travel to Manchester this weekend for a medical, becoming United's fourth major signing of the summer.
Manchester United have reached a full agreement with Brighton to sign midfielder Carlos Baleba for £65m plus £5m in add-ons, with the 22-year-old set to travel to Manchester this weekend to undergo a medical.
United had pursued Baleba for over a year but were initially deterred by Brighton’s £100m valuation. A quieter 2024/25 campaign reduced his price, and after an opening offer of £60m plus add-ons was rejected, the two clubs shook hands on the revised fee, which also includes a sell-on clause. Personal terms had already been agreed before the clubs finalised the transfer.
Baleba becomes United’s fourth major arrival of the summer, following midfielder Youri Tielemans, Andrey Santos — who together cost a combined £85m — and goalkeeper Karl Darlow. Manager Michael Carrick had been clear about his desire to add a third outfield player to his squad, particularly in midfield, following the departure of Casemiro and a long-term injury to Manuel Ugarte.
“I just think we’re looking to strengthen the squad,” Carrick said ahead of United’s Premier League opener against Hull. “We’re certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things. I think we’re in a good way to doing that so far.”
However, Baleba will not be available immediately. The Cameroon international picked up an ankle ligament injury during Brighton’s 0-0 Conference League qualifier draw against Tromso on Thursday, meaning his United debut will be delayed.
Brighton manager Fabian Hurzeler declined to confirm the transfer when asked at his pre-match press conference on Friday. “He’s a Brighton player. Like I said, I’ll never comment on any rumours that are currently in the media,” Hurzeler said. “In two days I have a very important game together with my team and with my staff. We want to have a good start in the Premier League season — that’s the only focus we have at the moment.”
Read also
-
Football ·Manchester United agree £70m deal to sign Brighton's Carlos Baleba as third midfield addition
-
Football ·Flick confirms Barcelona's striker hunt continues as Torres' future hangs in the balance
-
Football ·Curtis Jones ends 16-year Liverpool association in confirmed €30m move to Inter Milan
-
Football ·Arteta confirms Guimaraes groin injury rules him out of Arsenal's Premier League opener against Coventry
-
Football ·Paredes handed 10-game ban as FIFA punishes Argentina trio for World Cup final brawl
-
Football ·Manchester United's sell-on clause set to earn windfall as Kambwala nears Como move