Emery confirms Martinez transfer request and admits Watkins could leave Aston Villa
Unai Emery has confirmed that goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez has asked to leave Aston Villa, while refusing to rule out a sale of striker Ollie Watkins with 10 days remaining in the transfer window.
Unai Emery has confirmed that Emiliano Martinez has formally requested a transfer from Aston Villa, while acknowledging that Ollie Watkins could also depart before the window closes, speaking ahead of Villa’s Premier League opener at Brighton on Sunday.
Emery revealed that Martinez had expressed a desire for a new challenge over each of the past two summers, prompting the club to sign Japanese goalkeeper Zion Suzuki as a potential replacement. “He transmitted to us the possibility to have another challenge in his career,” Emery said. “Not now, even last year, he was thinking in case he can have one possibility to change — and he didn’t do last year, and he performed fantastic with us. This year again, he transmitted us the possibility to have another challenge, and we decided to sign Suzuki because I think he’s a fantastic goalkeeper in case Martinez is leaving.”
On Watkins, Emery confirmed that Villa had rejected four separate offers from Saudi Pro League side Al Hilal this week, but stopped short of guaranteeing the England striker would stay. “We have an issue with him, it’s clear. He is another player, we have had offers for him,” the Villa manager said. “He is our player, I don’t want to sell him. It can change because if it is a good option for him, good option for the club and I can replace him in the squad.”
With approximately 10 days remaining in the transfer window, Watkins would join a significant list of departures from Villa Park this summer. Morgan Rogers, Lucas Digne, Youri Tielemans and, as confirmed on Friday, Ezri Konsa — who has joined Arsenal — have all left the club.
Despite the upheaval, Emery insisted Villa have managed their business shrewdly. Alongside Suzuki, the club have added Johan Manzambi, Joao Gomes, Matteo Ruggeri, Alejandro Garnacho and Aaron Wan-Bissaka to their squad. “I’m very excited, I think we have had an intelligent market,” Emery said. “We know where we are and we know what we want to do again for the next year. This is the priority and this is the motivation I have.”
Read also
-
Football ·Flick confirms Barcelona's striker hunt continues as Torres' future hangs in the balance
-
Football ·Curtis Jones ends 16-year Liverpool association in confirmed €30m move to Inter Milan
-
Football ·Arteta confirms Guimaraes groin injury rules him out of Arsenal's Premier League opener against Coventry
-
Football ·Paredes handed 10-game ban as FIFA punishes Argentina trio for World Cup final brawl
-
Football ·Manchester United's sell-on clause set to earn windfall as Kambwala nears Como move
-
Football ·Ian Wright claims he has proof Vinicius Jr was heading to Arsenal before Real Madrid U-turn