Carrick hints at left-back pursuit as Man Utd close in on £65m Baleba deal
Manchester United are in advanced talks to sign Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba for an initial £60m plus £5m in add-ons, with manager Michael Carrick indicating a left-back signing will follow — Barcelona's Alejandro Balde has emerged as a target.
Michael Carrick has signalled that Manchester United will move for a left-back once they finalise their pursuit of Brighton midfielder Carlos Baleba, with the club in advanced talks over a deal worth an initial £60 million plus £5 million in add-ons.
Baleba, 22, would become United’s third midfield signing of the summer, completing what the club views as a rebuild of their engine room. Asked at a press conference whether left-back was a position United needed to address, Carrick stopped short of naming targets but made his intentions clear: “I just think we’re looking to strengthen the squad. We’re certainly working towards that, making the most of the situation that we have and trying to improve things and trying to move forward.”
He added: “Certainly trying to make the most of the opportunities to finish the window stronger than we went into it. And I think we’re a good way to doing that, so far.” Barcelona’s Alejandro Balde has emerged as a target to fill that left-back vacancy.
Even if a deal for Baleba is concluded before the registration deadline, the Cameroonian will not be available immediately due to injury. Carrick was speaking ahead of United’s Premier League opener away to newly promoted Hull City on Saturday.
On the injury front, Carrick offered a mixed update across four players. Striker Benjamin Sesko missed the entirety of pre-season with a shin problem but has returned to full training and is expected to feature. Goalkeeper Karl Darlow and defender Matthijs de Ligt have also resumed training, though de Ligt will not be involved against Hull despite being in good shape.
“Matt’s obviously been out for a long period of time, but he’s training and great to have him back,” Carrick said. “He won’t be involved, but he’s in good shape and moving in a good direction.”
Mason Mount remains a doubt for the weekend after picking up a knock, though Carrick described the situation as minor. “He’s very close, so it’s touch and go for the weekend really, if not, going into next week,” the United manager said. “There’s no drama. It’s maybe been a week or so, 10 days or whatever it’s been. So it’s nothing major.”
Read also
-
Football ·Man United's £65m Baleba bid signals a quieter, smarter transfer approach than the De Jong debacle
-
Football ·Brighton reject Liverpool's £50m bid for Minteh as Salah successor search intensifies
-
Football ·Sesko returns to training as Ugarte faces long-term absence ahead of United's Premier League opener
-
Football ·West Ham condemn anti-Palestine chant aimed at debutant Manor Solomon after Burnley draw
-
Football ·Zidane as selector: Udol sees Champions League as his passport to France
-
Football ·Tottenham double-winner Terry Dyson dies aged 91 after decade of glory at Spurs