Arsenal open door to Lewis-Skelly exit as Manchester United weigh move for teenager
Arsenal CEO Richard Garlick has refused to rule out selling 19-year-old Myles Lewis-Skelly before the September 1 deadline, with Manchester United and Chelsea both having been offered the versatile defender this summer.
Arsenal chief executive Richard Garlick has left the door open for Myles Lewis-Skelly to leave the Emirates Stadium this summer, telling reporters the club would “consider” a sale if the “right opportunity” arose — a statement that hands Manchester United fresh encouragement in their pursuit of the 19-year-old.
United were offered Lewis-Skelly earlier this month following Arsenal’s decision to sign Bruno Guimaraes from Newcastle, according to previous reporting. The club are actively searching for a new left-back before the September 1 window deadline, with Newcastle’s Lewis Hall understood to be their first-choice target. Lewis-Skelly represents an alternative option, and Garlick’s comments now give that possibility more credibility.
“There’s been a lot of speculation around players,” Garlick said when asked about Lewis-Skelly and Arsenal teammate Ethan Nwaneri. “I can’t stop other clubs being interested. I think Myles has had a fantastic end to last season and has started this one really well — we’re very, very happy with him. We are not actively looking at selling those homegrown players but if the right opportunity came up — right for them and the club — we’d obviously consider that.”
The comments arrive days after Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta took a similarly measured stance on the speculation. “I’m not going to talk about speculation,” Arteta said following Lewis-Skelly’s goal in a 1-1 pre-season draw against Serie A side Como. “If there is speculation about our players, it’s a good sign. That means our players attract attention and are doing a good job.”
Lewis-Skelly, born in 2006, demonstrated his versatility by starting in midfield during Arsenal’s 3-0 Community Shield victory over Manchester City on Sunday, impressing throughout. Despite Guimaraes’ arrival at the Emirates, the teenager is still expected to play a significant role for the Gunners — making any potential departure far from straightforward.
Chelsea have also been offered the England international’s services, adding competition to any potential deal. Lewis-Skelly still has four years remaining on his current contract, which gives Arsenal considerable leverage in any negotiations. Should he move to Old Trafford, Michael Carrick’s side would most likely deploy him as a left-back rather than in midfield.
Read also
-
Football ·Monaco cancel Pogba's contract after just six appearances, leaving him without a club
-
Football ·After fourteen years with France, Deschamps targets new challenge in club or international football
-
Football ·Infantino at FIFA: Molina maintains that Diallo secretly supports the president
-
Football ·Betis reject €50m Antony bid, denying Manchester United a sell-on windfall
-
Football ·Ligue 1 referee Kherradji sentenced to six months suspended for domestic violence
-
Football ·Everton CEO confirms contact with Grealish but stops short of sealing permanent deal